Tales From the Yard by @NiamhTownsend - IrishRacing7 Tales From the Yard by @NiamhTownsend

Tales From the Yard by @NiamhTownsend

Since September, I have been lucky enough to have gained some work experience behind the scenes at Heather Main's yard, getting an insider perspective on what it takes to get a horse to the racecourse. I have helped do the yard in the morning, led up at the races, and last week had the wonderful opportunity to attend Tattersalls Sales at Ascot!

Inline image
Leading Good Tyne Girl – Picture from Tattersalls Ascot

Originally it was my mum who suggested I should try out some work experience in a racing yard, understanding that wanting to break into a career in racing journalism would be considerably difficult without experience within the industry and that it was important for me to start building up my CV. I knew there were yards not far from where I live, Lambourn is just a few miles down the road and there were a couple of all-weather gallops a short ride away from where I keep my own horse, and it was this knowledge that put me in contact with Heather.

The day that I passed my driving test I paid a visit to Kingston Common Farm, where Heather showed me around the property, introducing me to each of the horses and offered me a work experience placement at the weekends in between my studies at Sixth Form. I started that week.

It really didn't take long to settle in, everyone was very welcoming and more than happy to answer any questions I had about working in racing. It was an eye opening experience as to just how much work goes on every day behind the scenes, which cannot be effectively conveyed across televisions at home or in betting shops – the dedication of these trainers and stable staff day in day out to care for their horses and nurture them is insane, it is a labour of love, not just a job. Getting to know the people at the yard as well as the horses and their individual personalities meant that my investment in racing reached new heights, which I never imagined it could. I was now tuning in to Sky Sports Racing whenever there was a horse from work running. I remember when I first watched one of Heather and James' horses win: Keswick bolting up at Lingfield at the end of September, it was fantastic!

Inline image
The lovely Keswick with his neighbour Al Kout

With around 24 horses in training, the attention to detail paid on each of them allows for a very nice strike rate of runners from Kingston Common. It didn't take long to get to know the personalities of each of these horses, which ones were cuddly and which ones to allow space. While my school friends were enjoying their Saturday morning lie-ins I was up and about mucking out stables and taking horses on and off the walker, but I didn't mind one bit, I was getting to play a small part in the sport I have followed so avidly for the majority of my life now. And spending time around these incredible athletes, getting to see how the inner workings of a racing yard really function, was a rewarding way to spend the weekend.

Heather had offered to take me racing, and as soon as an entry lined up with a suitable day for me I was supplied with a racing pass and allowed to go to Lingfield with Dashing Poet in January. It was a completely new experience for me and something I had wanted to do for many years, so finally getting the opportunity to lead a horse up at the races was truly fantastic. Upon arrival Dashing Poet got checked in to the racecourse stables and I led her around the yard a few times to allow her to loosen up after the long journey - once she was settled in to her box, Heather gave me a tour of the racecourse.  A cup of tea in the owners and trainers lounge preceded myself returning to the stables to prep Dashing Poet for the first race on the card. She behaved impeccably, an absolute dream to work with. I remember watching the race intently on the sidelines, and when Charlie Bishop made his move I thought that was the winning one, but Lady Alavesa just had an extra kick and beat her into second. Even still, to take a horse into the runner up spot on my first time leading up was a brilliant feeling – Dashing Poet's owners were absolutely delightful and hopefully it won't be too long until 'Dash' can get back into the winners enclosure again.

Inline image
Dashing Poet after her race at Lingfield

The new experiences didn't stop there! After finishing the yard early one afternoon Heather asked whether I wanted to trot one of the horses round the school, I couldn't say no. It's safe to say that Rake's Progress is very different from my cob, Leila, but plenty of fun all the same – a few bucks and spooks thrown in showed he was in very good spirits. It was a thrill, and that was only at a trot, I didn't stop grinning for the rest of the day.

Just last week I was asked to accompany James to the Tattersalls Sale at Ascot as they had three horses set to go through the ring: Hereyouare, Tifl, and Good Tyne Girl. I was able to see a completely different side to the industry than I had ever had access to before – last year I visited Tattersalls at Newmarket and many people had suggested I go and watch the sales, I had never imagined I would be right in the middle of it. It was a full on day of work getting horses ready, leading them around for prospective buyers to view, and finally entering the auction ring three times over, but the hard work all felt worthwhile as all three horses sold and yet again I had been offered the opportunity to try something new.

Inline image
Me and Hereyouare – Picture from Tattersalls Ascot

As my A Levels are fast approaching I have had to pause my weekend work experience in order to focus on my studies, 'essay writing Saturday' as it has now become known. While I may no longer be spending my Saturday mornings at the yard, I still keep track of which horses are running – Al Kout was a winner at Kempton on Saturday and Island Brave ran a great race in defeat, if that's a sign for the upcoming flat season then it's sure to be a prosperous year for the Main's and their owners.

I have been incredibly lucky to have been given the opportunities that I have in my short time at Kingston Common Farm, and I have gotten to know some extremely lovely people and horses. Heather, James and all of the staff have taught me so much and given me the experience I had wished for at the start of September last year. Having learnt so much in such a short space of time I believe that I absolutely made the right decision to do some work in a racing yard, and I could not have asked for nicer people to teach me and inform my future career prospects. I wish them all the best for the rest of the year!


0 Comments