Christmas Countdown 2018 - Day 7, Grand National Memories by @thomasbroadben1 - IrishRacing7 Christmas Countdown 2018 - Day 7, Grand National Memories by @thomasbroadben1

Christmas Countdown 2018 - Day 7, Grand National Memories by @thomasbroadben1

For tonights addition to the Christmas countdown, Thomas shares his memories of 30 years worth of visits to Aintree for the world-famous Grand National. It's safe to say he's seen some truly brilliant sights!

Grand National Memories by Thomas Broadbent

I first went to Aintree races in 1981to see the Grand National: it was the year Aldaniti won it with Bob Champion riding. Both horse and jockey had been through the mill just to get to the race, so it was the fairy tale ending, and from that day I have had an awesome time at Aintree.

Over the years I've attended there was a bomb scare and the race was run on the Monday where Lord Gyllene romped home. Then there was the year Esha Ness won and the race was voided because of a false start, Keith Brown (the starter) was not a popular man that day. Another year that sticks in my mind was when Red Marauder won the race in the mud the ground was so bad that day only 4 horses finished - the 3rd and 4th were actually remounted by AP McCoy and Ruby Walsh.

My best year from a gambling point of view was in 2002 when Bindaree won the race: I had taken 33/1 ante post and had also done 4 of the first 5 in small each way bets and had also done a mix of forecasts and tricasts using the 4 selections and I ended up having the winner the forecast and the tricast (never done it again since) so the drinks were flowing into the wee small hours. There have been many a fine year I've attended there is one thing I must add, the people of Liverpool are very welcoming and know how too party!
2010 has to be mentioned as AP MCcoy finally won the race aboard Don't Push It - a very popular winner!  In 2017 One for Arthur was only the 2nd Scottish trained horse to win the race trained by Lucinda Russell.

So on to my most enjoyable experience of the year, that's easy it's the same every year it's national day, though this year was a bit of a milestone it: was my 30th year and I had a great weekend with friends I have met over the years. So thank you Aintree and the people of Liverpool for your hospitality and 30 glorious years.

Image from Lancashire Life

0 Comments