Christmas Countdown 2018 - Day 2, Dawson City by @lowy121 - IrishRacing7 Christmas Countdown 2018 - Day 2, Dawson City by @lowy121

Christmas Countdown 2018 - Day 2, Dawson City by @lowy121

Day 2 of our Christmas countdown and Lois recalls some very moving memories about her time on work experience with Polly Gundry where she worked with a very special horse: Dawson City.

Dawson City by Lois

On the 23rd of February 2018, a horse called Dawson City won the Higos Insurance Services Devon National Handicap Chase for his trainer, Polly Gundry, jockey, Andrew Thornton and owners, Ian Payne and Kim Franklin. You may be thinking, what is so special about this victory, it's not like he's won a Gold Cup or anything even remotely to the effect of one? But for me, and the connections of this horse, it felt like we had won one hundred Gold Cups all in one afternoon and this is why it was so special:

Off the back of a taking win in a small handicap chase at Wincanton in March 2017, Dawson City headed to the Coral Scottish Grand National at Ayr. He went off at 25/1 for the big race, but connections were full of hope for a very big run as he'd been well and was just hitting top form. However, it was just not meant to be. He chased the leaders for most of the way, but began to tamely drop out after the 17th fence, which was highly unusual for him as, Dawson City (known as Midnight, affectionately), stays forever and will always keep galloping for you. He quickly beat a retreat and was consequently pulled up after 5 out. The Scottish National dream was over just like that and the 452 mile travel was wasted, but the bad luck didn't stop there. Midnight was found to have an injury, explaining his lack lustre performance. He was careful transported back to Devon after a vet confirmed the injury not to be life threatening. From there,
he was carefully monitored by Polly herself and all members of her team. He was put on box rest for about 2 and a half months, which brings this story to July 2017.

I was in year 10 in 2017 and I had applied for a week's worth of work experience at Polly Gundry's yard as she was based about 30 minutes away from where I lived and kept my own horse. It was perfect. In July 2017 I did my work experience and loved every bit of it. This is when I met the beautiful, Dawson City. I remember so vividly, walking past his door and noticing his off fore all bandaged up and there was a little sign on the door saying something along the lines of 'Don't let him roll, he'll agitate the leg'. I was curious to find out more about this big beautiful beast of a horse who, at the time, carried quite a bit of condition. I located Polly and she told me roughly what had happened to him and she asked if I wanted to take him out for a pick of fresh grass in the grazing area for 30 minutes at the end of the day before I went home. Obviously, without hesitation, I said yes. So, when it came to the end of my day at the yard, I went and put a chifney headpiece on him and we went out for a walk. Never have I ever had a horse so keen to get out into an open space. He dragged me along to the grazing area and we stayed there for half an hour. I did this every day for a week and fell in love with this animal. I was in charge of feeding, watering, mucking out, grooming and walking Midnight. I could see in his eyes that he was desperate to get out and about more and more each day. When the time came that I had to say my goodbyes to everyone at the yard, my first port of call was Midnight. I wished him good luck and speedy recovery. I caught up with Polly and got her number so I could ask for updates on him as time went on. I never wanted to leave that yard. All of the staff were so lovely and bloody hilarious too and most of the horses were such gentle giants. It was an experience I'll never forget.

Swiftly, time flew past and I continued to receiver updates on Midnight. His condition had improved so much over that summer, he was out hunting by September of that year. His next appearance came at Haydock in November 2017. He finished a remote 4th of 8, which only added to the considerable doubt in the yard as to whether he'd be able to come back to the same level he was at before the injury. This was further backed up by a shocking performance at Exeter on the 1st of January (pulled up- never really involved). However, despite 2 disappointing runs, Polly kept on with him and that proved to be the right choice. His next run saw him finish 3rd or 9 at Wincanton on the Somerset National on the 23rd of January. He was only beaten by a couple of lengths and was staying on all the time. At Wincanton, on the 23rd, that was when we all knew that he was back. Now, here is my best memory from 2018: At Exeter racecourse (Polly Gundry's local track), on the 23rd of February, Dawson City came home two lengths clear of Shotgun Paddy to win the Devon National. Those two were 15 lengths clear of the next horse, Jepeck who, in turn, was 6 lengths clear of the eventual Grade 3 Betway handicap chase (Aintree on the 14th of April) winner, Thomas Patrick. Midnight took no prisoners that day. He jumped like a stag and out-stayed his enthusiastic front-running rivals. That day provided everyone involved with the horse such elation and shock. It was such a massive success for Polly, despite it only being worth £25,000. To small yards like Ms Gundry, £25,000 goes a long way. I remember being sat at my kitchen table watching the race on my phone absolutely screaming the house down when Dawson City and Shotgun Paddy jumped 2 out together. When he crossed the line in 1st place tears streamed down my face. I was so happy. He deserved to have a win like that after everything he'd gone through and everyone involved with the horse deserved it as a huge morale boost to a team that as so underrated! I was only involved with Midnight for one week, but I still managed to feel such a tremendous sense of pride and emotion, it was most definitely my highlight of 2018.

All the racehorses out there mean absolutely everything to the people behind the scenes and I think we all forget that once in a while, but we shouldn't. This Christmas, we should celebrate and commend all
the people working through the holiday season to give us, the consumers of the sport, the quality of racing we want. Without them, we wouldn't have such fantastic racing day-in day-out. They are a credit to the sport and I know that I, for one, am eternally grateful.


Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.
Lois x

0 Comments