REBECCA MENZIES ( @RebeccaEMenzies ) CHATS WITH @Mccann7Brian - IrishRacing7 REBECCA MENZIES ( @RebeccaEMenzies ) CHATS WITH @Mccann7Brian

REBECCA MENZIES ( @RebeccaEMenzies ) CHATS WITH @Mccann7Brian



Our 2nd edition has presented me with another amazing opportunity to chat with one of my favourite trainers, she has proved that through hard graft and sheer determination, anything is possible. ..this lady is undoubtedly heading for the top of the racing game. Having already achieved so much at such a young age,the possibilities seem endless....it is of course..the radiant Rebecca Menzies.

Enjoy.



We understand your latter school days and use of school computers  make for an interesting story, care to divulge?



I used to spend a lot of time during breaks (and probably IT lessons) on Betfair & Sporting life. I was called into my deputy head as they thought I had a gambling problem. They had printouts miles long of browsing history and was convinced there was an issue  I was quite obsessed with form from an early age and it hit me hard when school blocked all of the sites! (I wasn't actually gambling - don't think I even had a debit card at the time ) .



Our readers will be aware that you were assistant to Ferdy Murphy, which is a huge achievement on its own, how did you feel when he made the decision to go to France, must have been a testing time?



Yes - it was a bit of a cross roads . I had two options, either go and work somewhere else or have an opportunity of starting training with a base of 5/6 paying horses ... I sat with Ferdy one afternoon and scribbled down a very basic ( poss slightly unrealistic) business model & he gave me the confidence that I could make it work. I had nothing to lose.



Have you ever felt any prejudice or discrimination at any stage in your career?



Bits. But mainly because of my age - not because I'm female. I'd be lying if I said it didn't get to me a bit in the early days but I've more important stuff to be bothering about now…



I'm always fascinated to know what drives a young teenager into the sport, What sparked your interest?



I helped out at a stable from the age of 8 (Walter Gott's) owner of Addington Boy / Granit D'Estruval amongst others.

He was in a wheelchair but used to bring me up to Ferdy Murphys to watch his horses work and take me to the races when school allowed (!)

During the summer I watched over Ferdy's resting horses that came to Walters' for their holidays. I learned who they all were and followed them through their winter campaigns - when I was a bit older FM let me ride out and I was hooked from then on. I sat in Walters lounge watching Granit D'Estruval win the Irish National and we had a big party when they got back - it was brilliant. Walter was very supportive of my early career and it was very sad that he died suddenly approximately 3 months before I was granted a full license.



One race, any race, which you will deliberately target each year?



Used to be one at Musselburgh that I've won for last three years, but we didn't win it this year .....



What is your biggest weakness?



Wine with olives and Parma ham and bread.



You became Britain's youngest trainer at 24, which is breathtaking, who was on hand to guide and support you at this stage of your career?



Having good people around you is crucial in any game. I never underestimate the part people have played when we have a winner. I'm fortunate to have found great staff from the very beginning & I don't regret employing anyone I've had here. Each person has taught me something, or how to deal with something - and I keep learning more and more about people as new challenges are thrown at me.

The team here now are second to none and I feel privileged to be working alongside some great individuals.

Although I've started on my own with no financial 'backer' as such, I'm indebted to my owners for putting faith in my ability to deliver results right from the very beginning. Without the owners, there would be no business.

My family aren't horsey at all but have been very supportive through my life and when things have got tough they are usually the first people I ring - they look at racing from a completely different perspective which can sometimes be helpful.

Most trainers are very approachable and I'm never scared to ask for help or advice if I'm struggling with a horse... Ferdy hasn't been too well but is always at the end of the phone if I want his feedback after a race.

I have an excellent vet (Paul Lentelink) , who has steered me in the right direction since I started and has been fundamental in keeping some of the trickier horses on the road.



As always Becky, we have an imaginary champagne reception, you have 5 invites, who do you chose, and why?



As not to upset anyone who didn't get an invite I would probably just drink all of the champagne myself ...

0 Comments